Tuesday, June 2, 2009

2009 Spark Awards...pomp, circumstance, and frivolity















So, in my role as a stay-at-home mom, I have very little opportunity to wear a tiara.
I mean, sure, I have the good fortune to spend most of my day in pajamas if I so choose, but that can bring a girl down after a while. So imagine my excitement when I opened the e-vite for the 2009 Spark Awards (if you don't know what this is, it's the celebration of the end of FIRE's first season- awards, merriment, food, etc.) and I saw what may be my favorite word in the language of invitations: "formal".
In these troubling economic times, it seemed irresponsible to go out and buy a new dress for the evening, so I went to the attic and brought down a couple of "pre-baby" dresses. To be fair, the baby wasn't really the blame for their banishment to the attic. The fault lies in being with a man who loves to feed me cake (see "Songs for a New Word, and a New Me"). ANYWAY. I found a dress that I wore to an event in college (the induction of my parents' research into the Tennessee Aviation Hall of Fame) and thought, "Hmmm." And so here we are, six years later, and the dress fits again. Huzzah. Very exciting.
Here's the thing: I love getting dressed up. LOOOOOVE it. I have never been one of those girls who took her shoes off at the prom, and I think women who change into flip-flops at their wedding receptions should be taken aside and told that it's only one day (or two, in my case, but who's freaking counting? Don't you judge me.) and they need to suck it up and keep their freaking heels on or they are going to look like idiots in the wedding pictures fifty years from now. But I digress...wearing pretty shoes and fancy hair is one of my favorite things to do. I do love an event. I love everyone looking their best, everyone feeling celebratory and all the good vibes that fly around when everyone is happy and all is good with the world. I also love wearing sparklies. That's fun, too.
Husband looks great in a suit. We're the same height. This leads many people to say things like, "Oh, so you have to wear flats around him?" Um. No. He's secure enough in his manhood that my wearing heels doesn't intimidate him. And I, at 5'4", don't have any height-related psychological issues. So, yes. I wear heels. Pretty much all the time. Why? Because they're fabulous and make my legs look nine miles long. Will I sacrifice that feeling for something so trivial as COMFORT? No, ma'am.


Anyway. Husband looked amazing, my friends looked amazing, and my hair was a thing of miracles. All in all, it was a grand time.



I took home "Best One-Bite Banana Eater of the Year" and "Best Exaggeration of a Body Part".


Husband won "Best Bearded Impersonation of His Own Child".

Sam has added yet another title to his collection, and is now "Wee Mister Henry Street".

If none of these make sense to you, you should have come to see more shows this year. Remedy the situation by coming to more of them next season. It will make you a better person.





On a more serious note, I was extremely honored to be given the "Inspire FIRE" award, voted on by the cast of "Godspell". This show was my first with FIRE, and it was a show I had wanted to be in since I was four years old. It was an incredible experience, and it really meant a lot to me. I didn't say this Sunday night, because emotions make me uncomfortable, but thank you, FIRE. My life is better because I'm a part of this amazing group of incredible, talented, big-hearted people.

I'm ready to rock next season. Rehearsals for "Musical of Musicals, the Musical" start tonight. The show runs the last weekend of June. Please try to make it; it's hysterical, and four of my favorite actors will be in it with me: Anita Sleeman, Charlie Stoop, Emiley Kiser, and Steve Schultz. It promises to be a thing of fabulocity.





1 comment: